How do i come to Canada as a temporary foreign worker?

There are different means for a foreigner to immigrate legally to Canada. For a foreigner to be eligible for these means must meet the requirements of Immigrating to Canada. One of the means of legally immigrating to Canada is as a temporary foreign worker.

This allows you to stay in Canada for only a temporary period of time, as long as the immigrant continuously works for his or her Canadian employer. While in Canada, you may be able to apply for Permanent Residence, once you meet some requirements. Permanent residents in Canada do not need work permits to fill in jobs in Canada, and the same can be said for Canadian citizens.

For you to be allowed entrance to Canada as a temporary foreign worker, employment laws of Canada require that you must have a work permit. There are different work permits for the various job offers or employment in Canada.

If you are not a Permanent resident or a citizen of Canada, you will be required to get a work permit before you can seek employment in Canada. You can get the work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). You can also get the work permit at a Canadian visa office in your home country before you enter Canada.

Before you can get a work permit your employer must have given you a job in Canada or an employment offer. The Canadian employer is required to have applied for Labour Market Impact Assessment at ESCD – Employment and Social Development Canada. The ESDC then decides if there is a need to employ a foreign worker for the employment position in Canada.

Some types of workers get unique work permits for their jobs in Canada based on the Canadian Employment Law. Live-in caregivers are given special kind of work permit. The same goes for agricultural workers and business people.

To get more information on this, go to the IRCC website and view the Working Temporarily in Canada section.

Are you already in Canada?

If you are already a legal immigrant in Canada, depending on some factors, you may be eligible to get a special kind of work permit. Temporary work permit can’t be used to move to Canada as a Permanent resident.

Temporary workers are eligible to get the permanent residence based on the following programs:

  • CEC- Canadian Experience Class
  • Live-in Caregiver Program
  • PNP- Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program

You must meet the requirements before you are permitted to apply for these programs.