Métis Skills Development Eligibility Criteria
All Applicants Must:
- Be of Métis Nation Ancestry – and must provide one of the following documents:
- A valid Métis Nation of Alberta membership card; or
- A valid Métis Nation of Alberta membership card from a parent or sibling; or
- A valid Métis Settlement membership card and a letter from the Métis Settlement Council confirming Métis status and Council’s inability to fund the client’s training request; or
- A valid membership card from Métis Nation British Columbia, Métis Nation Saskatchewan, Manitoba Métis Federation, or Métis Nation Ontario; or
- A copy of a verifiable genealogical profile showing Métis ancestry, or
- A written description from the client applicant detailing the reason(s) for claiming Métis identity, and where the Métis heritage descends from.
- Declare the client applicant’s name will not appear on the Government of Canada’s Indian Registry and/or Band list pursuant to the “Indian Act.”
- Have Alberta residency along with proof of Alberta residency.
- Have a barrier to employment and can demonstrate a need for training or re-training.
- Be ready, willing, and able to complete the training requested.
- Show that training or retraining will lead directly to employment in an occupation with average or above average industry demand.
- Apply a minimum of 30 days prior to the training start date.
- Accept that Rupertsland Institute will provide a maximum of $8,500 for training costs (tuition, fees, books, and equipment) in addition to weekly income support (if eligible) according to established rates.
For further information, or to apply, please contact the nearest office of Rupertsland Institute, Métis Training to Employment Services. In Edmonton call 780–423–2237. All other areas should call 1–888–48-MÉTIS (1–888–486–3847) to be connected to the the nearest Rupertsland Institute location.
Looking for training?
See the Métis specific customized training projects the MTE unit has designed for you.
Are you a youth between the ages of 15 and 30? We have more programs and services designed just for you.